So, just recently I posted about a cute sharpie marker style mug that I quite liked, but unfortunately it was a link from Pinterest and the shop doesn’t appear to still exist on Etsy. It was a bit of a shame, because the cup was cute and for some reason that song routinely pops in my head when I least expect it, so it really resonated with me.
I decided that because of that little fail, I should have a go at making my own sharpie marker style mugs. I have a neat little collection of plain, white mugs that came with a new dinner set I bought last year and thought they would be perfect for this project.
Generally in reading through the loads of tutorials around online, these tips seem to offer the most success:
- Give the surface a quick wipe over with alcohol first.
- Keep your design clear of the lip of the cup.
- Use oil-based sharpie markers.
- Leave your design to dry for a couple of hours before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit / 180 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool in your oven overnight.
- Hand wash your mug!
1.Lots of tips like this on Craftaholics Anonymous. // 2. These ones on PopSugar are sweet! // 3. The Gold Jellybean shows oil based vs. regular sharpies. // 4. Pounds for Pennies also try oil based sharpies. // 5. Another tutorial over here on A Beautiful Mess.